- This event has passed.
MOFAD Spring Gala: Africa to America
May 15 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$750
Join Honoree Questlove, Chair Hannah Bronfman, Host Wyatt Cenac and an incredible lineup of culinary talent for the Museum of Food and Drink’s 2019 Spring Gala on Wednesday, May 15 at Union West. This year’s gala will be an immersive culinary journey from Africa to America, raising funds for a major exhibition celebrating how African Americans laid the foundation for American cuisine.
This will be an unforgettable evening with:
• A culinary tour of West Africa by chefs Eric Adjepong, Michael Elégbèdé, Grace Odogbili, Olivier Palazzo, Diana Tandia, and Pierre Thiam.
• Homages to African American contributions to American cuisine by chefs Kia Damon, Kwame Onwuachi, JJ Johnson, and Jessica Craig
• Whole-hog barbecue by legendary pitmasters Ed and Ryan Mitchell and Rodney Scott
• A first taste of an unreleased fonio beer produced by Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewery (fonio is a traditional grain from West Africa)
• Remarks by award-winning author Dr. Jessica B. Harris
• Wine pairings by André Mack of Maison Noir
• Musical artistry by Fuze presented by Jill Newman Productions, featuring Salieu Suso, Idrissa Kone, and a special guest appearance by Sahr Ngaujah of Fela
Tickets start at $750. Proceeds support MOFAD and the development of the country’s first exhibition to celebrate how African Americans laid the foundation for American cuisine.
For more details and to purchase tickets to this year’s Spring Gala, click: www.mofad.org/2019gala