- This event has passed.
Knights of the Raj NYC
July 20 - July 23
Listing as per Museum of Food and Drink, host of Knights of the Raj NYC:
Knights of the Raj NYC is an immersive arts experience that beautifully captures the struggles and the stories behind the people who make up the largest Bangladeshi community in the United States, the people who brought curry to New York City restaurants.
This timely window into a hidden world invites visitors to experience South Asian flavors while absorbing the deeply personal narratives that led Bengali migrants to New York. Step into another world as we explore how a group of often overlooked NYC restaurant pioneers journeyed from their homeland in Bangladesh to the UK’s Brick Lane full of “curry houses” and New York’s own Curry Hill to the Bangladeshi biryani carts and street food vendors seen today throughout Jackson Heights.
Visitors can expect:
• An immersive arts, heritage, and culinary experience
• Insight into deeply personal narratives directly from Bangladeshi migrants
• Emotional tales of the quest for the American Dream
• A three-course sampler menu of Bangladeshi street-food and British-style curries
• Traditional Bangladeshi music juxtaposed with filmed interviews and archival footage from NYC (opening weekend only!)
• A walk-in diorama
• Gathered objects and other select furnishings from NYC’s Bangladeshi migrant community
Knights of the Raj NYC will be on show at MOFAD July 20th to July 22nd; July 27th to July 29th; and August 3rd to August 5th with timed entry from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. Tickets are $30. MOFAD members receive 25% off tickets.
For more details and to purchase tickets to Knights of the Raj NYC, click: www.mofad.org/knights-of-the-raj-nyc