- This event has passed.
September 24 - September 29
Join Agritecture and AgTech X for Agritecture Xchange, a curated week in New York exploring agriculture’s role within the Sustainable City movement. The event will bring together entrepreneurs, architects, city officials, investors, and researchers to learn more about how agriculture fits into future cities. You’ll learn from the amazing urban agriculture ecosystem in New York; exchange ideas and insights with a diverse group of innovative professionals from across the globe; and collectively we will drive toward a more sustainable future.
Agritecture Xchange schedule:
• Welcome Breakfast | 8:30-10:30am
Sponsors and All-Access Pass holders only. Includes a light breakfast with coffee and tea, as well as a welcome address from Ricky (AgTech X) & Henry (Agritecture) that will introduce the week’s events and discuss urban agriculture’s fit within sustainable urban food systems.
• Tour of Urban Agriculture in North Brooklyn | 10:30am-12:45pm
A round-robin tour of 4 sites that showcase the integration and diversity of urban farming models within the urban environment.
• The Tech Spectrum of Food Waste: Speaker Series | 6:00-8:00pm
A speaker series with entrepreneurs fighting food waste on all points along the technology spectrum.
• The State of Urban Agriculture in NYC | 8:30-10:30am | Hunter College | FREE PUBLIC EVENT
Henry Gordon-Smith will share lessons from his “40 Days of Agritecture” 3-continent urban agriculture tour, followed by a panel featuring leading NYC Urban Agriculture organizations and moderated by Charles Platkin.
• Investing in a Local Food Economy & Bridging the Urban-Rural Divide | 6:00-8:00pm
Does urban agriculture support, or compete with, a stronger local food system? What opportunities exist for entrepreneurs and funders to bridge gaps? You’ll hear from a panel of experts investing in projects across urban, peri-urban, and rural areas.
• Designing Smarter Food Systems: Rapid Workshop Series | 9:00am-1:00pm
9:00-10:00am: Geospatial Thinking for Agroforestry Systems
10:15-11:15am: Ecological Design for Agriculture
11:30am-1:00pm: GIS for Local Food System Planning
• Make It In Brooklyn AgTech & Food Innovation Pitch Contest | 6:00-8:00pm
Five leading startups will pitch their concepts live to a panel of judges and you, the audience.
• How Can the Future Food System Fit Into a Circular Economy? | 9:00-11:00am
Detailed exploration of the realities of urban agriculture and how these systems could feasibly fit into a circular economy.
• Intro to City as a Forest with Chris Garvin | 3:00-5:15pm
You’ll learn about the basics of biomimicry, ecological performance standards, and how we can apply ecosystem metrics to design more sustainable, resilient cities. Networking to follow.
• Sunset Sips: Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Mixer & Happy Hour | 6:00-9:00pm
Rooftop networking with local beer, wine and hors d’oeuvres at Brooklyn’s most iconic rooftop farm! Includes a brief speaker series with local officials and sustainability leaders.
• Agritecture for Architects: A Live Charrette | 9:00-11:00am
A dynamic workshop merging design, engineering, and horticulture skills to push urban agriculture’s potential integration into the City further.
• Navy Yard Innovation Tour | 3:00-5:00pm
A tour of Brooklyn’s most exciting urban industrial development, The Brooklyn Navy Yard. Tour urban farms, hardware incubators, and smart buildings.
• Agritecture Xchange Happy Hour Finale | 5:00-8:00pm
This Happy Hour Finale at New Lab will feature local food and drinks from innovative producers around the city. Join the discussion of key takeaways from the event series and hear from a panel of Cornell students on their summer research project focused on NYC urban farming.
• Agritecture’s Commercial Urban Farming Course | 9:00am-6:00pm )
A single day crash-course on how to successfully launch your urban farming business. Includes private farm tour.
For more details on Agritecture Xchange including pricing options, click: www.agritecture.com/xchange